Kanyamunyu applies for Bail for the forth time

By Sania Babirye

Mathew Kanyamunyu Muyogoma who is charged with the murder of Kenneth Akena a social worker at Lugogo in Kampala in 2016 has applied for bail for the fourth time.

This is after his three other bail applications were  declined with the recent being on the 23rd of August this year when high court judge Yasin Nyanzi ruled that he did not have exceptional circumstances including old age and poor health that are the main conditions for bail to be granted.

In the fresh bail application before high court criminal division, Kanyamunyu still claims that bail is his constitutional right and the notion of presumption of innocence until proved  guilty.

When High court Judge Yasin Nyanzi declined to grant him bail he advised him  to apply for bail as many times as possible but under a different judge since circumstances which the judge  based on to deny him bail have never changed since then.

With this new application, the application will either be heard by justice  Wilson Kwesiga or Anglin Ssenoga.

Prosecution   states that  on the 12th of  November 2016 along Jinja High way in Kampala opposite  the Uganda Manufacturer’s Association  (UMA) , with malice a fore thought, Kanyamunyu shot at Kenneth  Akena who later died from Norvik hospital in Kampala.

Akena is said to have accidentally scratched Mathew Kanyamunyu’s  car but when he got out to apologize Mathew Kanyamunyu who was in the car with his girlfriend allegedly pulled out his missing gun and shot him three times in the stomach.

He died at Norvik Hospital where Kanyamunyu who claims to have been trying to save him as a good Samaritan after he was shot had taken him for medication.

Akena  however is said to have left a dying declaration saying he was shot by Kanyamunyu.

Serena Williams unveils Baby Alexis to the world

Twelve days after being born in a West Palm Beach, Florida, hospital, Alexis Olympia Ohanian Jr. has made her debut to the world in an Instagram post and accompanying video shared by her mother, Serena Williams.

The video goes far beyond your average “Hello, world“ first glimpse at a newborn; it cuts together home video and social-media posts from Williams‘s entire pregnancy, including what looks like a Snapchat selfie from the Australian Open in which Williams, clutching her winner’s trophy, writes, “No one knows I’m 8 weeks pregnant.“ As she told Vanity Fair for the August cover story, Williams took the pregnancy test in January just to prove to her friend that she wasn’t pregnant, and on seeing the positive result thought, “Oh my God, this can’t be—I’ve got to play a tournament. How am I going to play the Australian Open? I had planned on winning Wimbledon this year.”

Williams won the Australian Open, with only her sister Venus, two friends, a doctor, and her fiancé, Alexis Ohanian, aware of the pregnancy. When she announced it months later she somehow found a way to surprise people once again with her strength. And she plans to do it again soon, too; she told Buzz Bissinger that she plans to be back on the court in January.

The video ends with all the usual newborn baby stats about baby Alexis, who is named after her father in a way typically reserved for boys (though no surprise that Serena Williams’s daughter is already breaking barriers). Weight: 6 pounds and 14 ounces.

-Vanities

Bobby Brown sues TV over misrepresentation in daughter’s biopic

Bobbi Kristina’s estate has joined forces with her father Bobby Brown to stop TV One from airing a biopic about his daughter’s short life.

The 48-year-old had already filed suit in a Manhattan Federal Court, claiming the portrayal of him as a bad dad is defamatory.

Bobbi Kristina’s estate has now joined the lawsuit, alleging the biopic violates her right to privacy, which it claimed survived her death at age 22, TMZ  revealed on Tuesday.

CPR performed by her fiance Nick Gordon kept Bobbi Kristina alive and she was placed in a coma for six months until doctors determined that her brain was irreversibly damaged.

 She died in hospice care in Duluth, Georgia.

An autopsy revealed Bobbi Kristina drowned after consuming alcohol, cannabis and a prescription medication used for anxiety or sedation.

Three years earlier her mother Whitney Houston drowned in a bath in her Beverly Hills hotel room, aged 48, due to drug intoxication.

Bobby Brown, who now shares three children with wife  Alicia Etheredge, has already claimed in his lawsuit the movie falsely shows him as violent toward Whitney.

It also suggests that Bobbi Kristina witnessed the alleged abuse. He also claims scenes show him as an unloving father.

The estate and Bobby want more than $2 million in damages and they want the judge to stop TV One airing the show next month.

TV One isn’t backing down. It ‘stands by the film and its representation of this period in Bobbi Kristina’s life,’ the production company said in a statement to E! News.

~Daily Mail

Mwanje and others return to court for trial over Kigundu

 By Sania Babirye

The former acting Amir of Nakaserero Mosque  sheikh  Yahaya Ramathan Mwanje and seven others have been committed to the international crimes division of the high court to be tried over murder and terrorism charges.

This morning senior prosecutors Lillian Omora and Jonathan Muwaganya informed Buganda road  court chief magistrate Jamson Kareemani  that the Director of Public prosecutions Mike Chibita has directed them to have the accused committed after completion of investigations.

 On the 6th of this month Sheikh Mwanje and his first three co accused  were charged afresh with Murder, Terrorism and aiding a terror group ADF after the DPP withdrew his first murder charges that Sheikh Mwanje and three others were already being tried in the high court.

The process was to allow state to add four more suspects and slap fresh charges of Murder, Terrorism, and aiding a terror group  on all the suspects so that the entire group can be tried together.

The new suspects  are part of the 14 people  who are also charged with the murder of former police spokesman AIGP Andrew Felix Kaweesi.

They include Yusuf Nyanzi,  Kalyango Jibril, Balyejusa Noordin and Bruhan Balijusa.

Other suspects include 43 year old bodaboda rider  Buyondo Muhammad a resident of Nsanji, 37 year old Sendegeya Abdul Wahab a bodaboda rider in Kyengere Nsanji and a 43 year old  business man in Masanafu  Sekandi Musa.

According to  the new charges Sheikh Mwanje and his co accused with others still at large,  on the 26 of November 2016 at Masanafu trading center Rubaga division murdered Major Muhammad Kigundu and his body guard  sergeant Stephen Mukasa.

The state further says that the suspects between 2010 and 2017 within the different district in the country aided and abetted terrorism by way of recruitment and  rendering support in form of training ADF members .

Meanwhile Nyanzi and Kalyango are  separately  charged with belonging and confessing to belong to ADF between 2010 and 2012.

The chief magistrate has however bared them  from  pleading to the new charges since they are capital in nature and only tried and bailed by the high court.

They have all been remanded to Luzira prison until the court will finally set a date for hearing of the case.

Mwanje  was arrested in November 2016 and detained  at Nalufenya until January 2017 when  he was finally charged.

Heavy rain in Isingiro washes homes and livestock away

Hundreds of people are homeless in Nyamiyanja and Birere Sub counties in Isingiro district following heavy rains that have been pounding the area since Sunday. The rains have destroyed several homes, several acres of banana plantations and livestock.

The rains also washed away Kishuro and Katanoga bridges and devastated Nyamiyanja gravity water flow scheme. The most affected are Eijugangoma, Nyarwenshama, Twamagondo and Nyakibare in Nyamiyanja Sub County where several crop gardens were destroyed completely.

Joseph Besigye, the LC 3 chairperson, Birere Sub County, says the displaced people have taken refuge in churches and schools. According to Besigye, they are still assessing the magnitude of the destruction before deciding their next course of action.

Jeremiah Kamurali, the Isingiro LC V Chairperson, says they are concerned over the disasters, which he blames on environmental degradation. He says there is need for residents to adopt modern farming methods to avert future challenges.

 

-URN

‘SAWA WORLD’ CALLS FOR MINDSET CHANGE AMONG YOUTH

By Edwin Muhumuza

Youths have been urged to change their mindset in regard to tackling the unemployment challenge. With as low as 20,000 shs, Sawa World ,a non-governmental organization says the funds are enough to embark on an income generating project, if they are well trained.

The  country director, Sheila Ampumuza speaking to the media noted that the key challenge among young people is the mindset but learning from others who have made a living from little amounts of money as capital is key to multiplying the success effect.

Ahead of the 5th Anniversary at Sheraton Gardens, on the 16th,several skills will be imparted to the youth, mainly  in marketing, business planning among others, said Ampumuza.

‘Sawa World uses an innovative approach to self-empower 1.2 billion people out of extreme poverty with their own solutions. We provide large-scale access to local solutions that are created by the very people living in extreme poverty ‘ said the founder, Daphne Nederhorst .

She adds that the organization focuses on the world’s poorest countries and ensures these solutions are shared and succeed as locally created, permanent strategies that strive without any dependency on charity or international aid.

Since 2012,the organization has experienced support from local leaders, youth organizations and feels government is right in pushing for skills development.58% of the 40,000 youth reached have their enterprises still running, says the country director.

 

 

 

Civil society urged to strengthen digital departments

By Edwin Muhumuza

Civil Society Organizations are rooting for the strengthening of cyber security in a bid to safe guard them- selves from attackers.

Executive Director, Defenders Protection Initiative, Yona Wanjala, said that non-governmental organizations around the world have been a target by state agencies accusing them of terrorism and money laundering a move they say has been as a result of cyber -attacks.

His remarks came during a digital security conference, at the Kampala Serena Hotel ,that brought together several organizations with aim of ensuring digital safety as they run their operations in the country.

NGO Forum Executive Director Richard Ssewakiryanga says work done by non-governmental organizations is too sensitive and therefore the need for digital security to safe guard it.

He adds that there has been break-ins where computers have been stolen leaving the fate of some organizations uncertain, and therefore the need for them(CSO’s) to increase budgets to prioritize Information Communication Technology.

Over the past five years there has been a wave of break-ins into the premises of non-governmental organizations, mostly those specializing in protecting human rights.

Despite the Uganda Police Force saying it has commissioned investigations into most of the incidents, the leaders of the affected organizations say there has hardly been any progress on this front, and not a single report detailing the progress of investigations has been issued.

They accuse the police and the government of being insensitive to the plight of civil society organizations at best, and at worst they say the State could be complicit in the break-ins. The police deny the accusations and say they are actively working to remedy the situation.

Semwanga’s body will not be exhumed, court rules

By Sania Babirye

The High court in Kampala has dismissed an application that was seeking  orders to  have  the body of the late Ivan Ssemwanga exhumed  after he was buried with legal tenders.

On Monday,  high court judge  Marget Oguli -Oumo  declined  to grant a concerned citizens Abey Mgugu’s request in which he sued  A-plus funeral management  that was in charge of the burial and funeral arrangements on grounds that A-plus was not responsible for the supervision and enforcement of respect of currency notes in its contract with the deceased’s family.

Justice Oguli Oumo has also ruled that Mgugu does not have a cause of action  against A-plus because it’s   not the  company that  threw money into Ssemwanga’s  grave, some thing which would have given rise to this case.

She has further  exonerated Bank of Uganda which the petitioner had accused  of  neglecting its statutory duty to protect currency on grounds that the  Bank of Uganda Act gives it no duty to enforce respect of the Ugandan currency and those from other jurisdictions such as the US dollar and the South African Rand that Mgugu claims were also thrown in Ssemwanga’s  grave.

Mgugu had petitioned the high court because he wanted Ssemwanga’s grave opened and have the money put back into circulation.

He had accused A-plus funeral service and Bank of Uganda of failing to protect a legal tender by looking on as the youths from the Rich gang threw money  into the grave as Ssemwanga was being buried on the  30th of May 2017 at Nakaliro village in Kayunga district.

However Bank of Uganda still has a pending case before Justice Stephen Musota  where another concerned citizen Robert Ssenfuka  is also seeking Ssemwanga’s body be exhumed and put back all the money that was buried with him  into circulation.

Ugandans urged to screen housemaids for crime before employment

Dr. Fred Yiga, the Police Director Interpol and Peace Support Operations has asked Ugandans to get their house maids screened for crimes before employing them.

Dr. Yiga says that that one of the mandates of Interpol, apart from ensuring international and regional cooperation in the fight against trans-national crime, is to reduce domestic crimes in the country.

Dr Yiga was on Sunday speaking on the sidelines of the regional police meeting at Munyonyo Commonwealth Resort.

He urges Ugandans who intend to secure the services of house maids, or home workers, to approach his directorate to do a thorough criminal screening about them.

This is aimed at ensuring the households are kept in the know what criminal records the maids they plan to employ have. Dr. Yiga says it reduces risks of trusting one’s home and children with maids whose backgrounds they hardly know. The services according to Dr. Yiga are available at a fee of between 50,000 and 60,000 Shillings.

Dr. Yiga says Uganda Police has a criminal database which entails fingerprints of every person that has ever been held as a suspect or criminally charged by police across the country.

He said that once a person brings the intended employees for vetting, police crosschecks with their database and advises the employer accordingly. Dr. Yiga notes that this builds confidence among house maids, or domestic workers in general, to work with one heart once they know police has their details.

Dr. Yiga appealed to Ugandan youth who are yearning for employment abroad to always go through Uganda Police to be able to guide them on genuine companies that handle the businesses. He notes that once Interpol Uganda is used, it becomes easy to also link with other countries through the same organisation.

In 2014, Jolly Tumuhiirwe,   a house maid was sentenced to four years in jail after she was captured on video surveillance camera footage torturing a toddler who was one-and-half-years at the time.

Last month, Tumuhiirwe was released about two years and eight months into her four-year sentence. The Uganda Prisons officials said her sentence attracted remission, a reduced verdict considered for disciplined and hardworking inmates.

 

 

-URN

Will.i.am positive about his move to new Swedish mobile record label

Will.i.am is looking to lead a new wave in the music industry.

The Black Eyed Peas frontman announced on Wednesday that he is hoping to “define a new type of record industry” by teaming up with Swedish mobile record label Amuse, which provides free digital distribution for its artists.

Speaking with Billboard, will.i.am says his partnership with Amuse is a business move and now about just putting his name on something.

“If they wanted just a celebrity, there’s lots of them, right?” he said. “Artists want to do more than just sell music, ask Kanye, ask Rihanna, and these artists have led a path to like make music, connect it with (an) audience, and dare to dream and bring something to market that’s more than just audio and a couple of visuals. And, together, what we’re doing can bring that and consult and guide artists to be more than just, you know, Instagram stars.”

He continued: “There’s going to be a system in which we put together these new types of like, brand building, business building, after we see success from music, because music sells a lot of stuff. And there’s a lot of people that are on Instagram and Snapchat suggesting that they are those people for the things that they like or things that they want to see in the market other than just songs. And Kanye West and Rihanna and Drake and Dr. Dre have pushed the ball forward and lifted the benchmark to where there’s going to be more of them – an army of them are about to come.”

Amuse co-founder and chief executive officer Diego Farias added that they are hoping the company will allow its stars to embark on different kind of ventures.

 

-Singersroom