Youth urged to desist theft and indiscipline while at work

By Gloria Nakiyimba
The first batch of 80 youth has been flagged off for industrial jobs by Operation Wealth Creation boss Lieutenant General Charles Angina.
The youth will be working at the new Good will Ceramics industry at the Kapeeka Industrial park in Namunkekera village in Luweero.
Lt. Angina says this is in fulfillment of the ongoing government efforts to create job opportunities to address unemployment among youth which currently stands at 80%.
“Character, commitment and discipline will enable you retain the job” he counseled the youth.
He urged them to resist stealing, respect their employers and supervisors as they take on different jobs.
 Lt.Gen Angina revealed that recruitment of more youth to work in different industries is still going on.
The youth will be employed in upcoming industries in Tororo and Luweero.
In a bid to create wealth, and jobs, Operation Wealth Creation department will start training youth with skills required in the job market.
Good Will Ceramics administrative department manager Zhou Yu says local production of ceramics will drastically reduce cost of importing the product from Europe and China.
“The first production of ceramic tiles is expected within  the next ten days” he told the media in Kampala on Thursday.
According to Zhou Yu, 90% of the raw materials used in manufacture of ceramics is sand from Uganda while 10% of raw materials is imported from China.
He noted that  employees will be paid between 600-8000 shillings for a start, as the group undergoes training but added that they are working on the salary scales.
Every worker will receive a bonus depending on their performance.   In addition Good Will Ceramics will offer accommodation and two meals for each shift.
Major Rubaramira Ruranga advised the group to  avoid living a reckless life that can  lead them to getting HIV/AIDS.
“If you want to be productive, know your HIV status, if positive start taking drugs. There is also Hepatitis B which is acquired in the same way as HIV, so you have to be careful” he counseled the group.
When asked to comment on the impact of sand mining on the environment, Lt. Gen Angina said “those against sand mining are ignorant of what the world has done using resources to create wealth”.
Gen. Angina said many countries in the first world were industrialized by tapping into their natural resources.
He said it was wrong for the Wakiso district chairman LC5 Matiya Lwanga Bwanika to oppose the sand mining which  he noted was  not  only unique to Uganda.
 He gave an example of the USA which he said exports 3.3 million tons of sand annually, and China which exports more than 200 million tons of sand, while Egypt is the leading exporter of sand in Africa.

The barking Lion in Chinese Zoo infuriates tourists

A Chinese zoo’s supposed “African lion” was exposed as a fraud when the dog used as a substitute started barking.

The zoo in the People’s Park of Luohe, in the central province of Henan, replaced exotic exhibits with common species, according to the state-run Beijing Youth Daily.

It quoted a customer surnamed Liu who wanted to show her son the different sounds animals made — but he pointed out that the animal in the cage labelled “African lion” was barking.

The beast was in fact a Tibetan mastiff — a large and long-haired breed of dog.

“The zoo is absolutely cheating us,” the paper quoted Liu, who was charged 15 yuan ($2.45) for the ticket, as saying. “They are trying to disguise the dogs as lions.”

Three other species housed incorrectly included two coypu rodents in a snake’s cage, a white fox in a leopard’s den, and another dog in a wolf pen.

The chief of the park’s animal department, Liu Suya, told the paper that while it does have a lion, it had been taken to a breeding facility and the dog — which belonged to an employee — had been temporarily housed in the zoo over safety concerns.

Users of China’s Twitter-like Sina Weibo service mocked the zoo. “This is not funny at all. It’s sad for both the zoo and the animals,” said one. “They should at least use a husky to pretend to be a wolf,” said another.

 

 

 

 

-EuroNews

 

 

 

Phone making companies utilizing Samsung’s short comings to fly high

Phonemakers are piling in to fill a gap in the market left by Samsung (005930.KS), still licking its wounds from a costly recall of its flagship Note 7 and with no key device of its own to launch at the telecom industry’s biggest annual fair.

China’s Huawei [HWT.UL], the most likely contender to fill the hole in the premium end of the market, took the wraps off a new phone in its quest to displace Samsung as the world’s no. 2 smartphone maker after Apple (AAPL.O), during a rush of new product releases on Sunday ahead of this week’s World Mobile Congress.

Chinese challengers Xiaomi [XTC.UL], Vivo, Oppo and Gionee are in hot pursuit, while BlackBerry (BB.TO) and Nokia (NOKIA.HE) announced models exploiting their retro appeal.

Samsung itself presented two new tablets pending the launch of its next flagship device, the Galaxy S8, expected now at the end of March rather than at Mobile World Congress, its usual showcase.

“The past six months have undoubtedly been one of the most challenging periods of our history,” Samsung’s European marketing chief David Lowes told a news conference in Barcelona. “We’re determined to learn every possible lesson.”

Samsung withdrew the Galaxy Note 7 last October after faulty batteries led some devices to catch fire, leading to a loss of consumer trust, wiping out more than $5 billion of operating profit, and allowing the iPhone to overtake it in sales.

“The competition is feisty but I think we have a good chance,” Richard Yu, chief executive of Huawei’s consumer business group, told Reuters in an interview.

Samsung’s smartphone market share dropped to 17.7 percent in the fourth quarter, while Apple’s rose to 17.8 percent, according to market research firm Strategy Analytics.

Independent research analyst Richard Windsor of Radio Free Mobile doubts whether Samsung can quickly regain its position.

“Samsung has taken a massive $5.4 billion hit to profits, apologized profusely for the recall and admitted shortcomings in its quality and assurance process but I don’t think that the full effects of this issue have fully hit home,” he wrote in a blog post. He pointed to a survey from Harris Poll which shows that Samsung’s reputation has fallen from No. 7 in the United States to No. 42, just one position above the U.S. Postal Service.

Huawei has aggressively expanded its mid- to high-end phones and is going head to head in Asia and Europe with Apple and Samsung in the premium phone market.

 

 

-Reuters

 

Burkini ban, what the Hell? Chinese have facekinis

A French ban on the burkini — a swimsuit that covers the whole body except for the face, hands and feet — has prompted fierce debate, but women in one part of China are wondering what all the fuss is about.

The “facekini” has been popular attire on beaches in eastern China for several years, especially in the city of Qingdao, a seaside city of 9 million.
The skin-tight elasticated fabric masks cover a swimmer’s entire head and neck. Holes are cut for eyes, nostrils, mouth and, in some cases, pony tails. Most facekinis cover up the rest of the torso as well.
“I’ve been using a facekini for nearly ten years,” says Wang Huimei, 58, a Qingdao local who goes to the beach almost everyday in summer.
“It’s way better than sunscreen lotion that wears off whenever I get inside the water. Plus, the water in this area tends to be cold, it’s comfortable to wear and it keeps me warm.”
Zhang Shifan says she’s the inventor of the facekini and has sold them on Taobao — China’s equivalent of Amazon — since 2007. She also has a brick-and-mortar store.
The garment was originally designed to protect people from jelly fish bites.
“Suntan protection was a secondary feature but now it’s the major appeal to my customers,” she adds.
-CNN

China at war with tourists leaving graffiti on Mount Everest

Graffiti is a problem for cities and run-down towns—as well as one of nature’s most coveted treasures. At Mount Everest, tourists have been trekking to Base Camp to scribble their names and comments on monuments.

The markings have become so bad that Chinese authorities in Tibet say they are considering setting aside special wall space just for visitors to write on, according to remarks from deputy head of Tingri County tourism bureau Gu Chunlei to The Paper. Another way to deter offenders? Publicizing the names of those who can’t follow rules. “Starting this year, we will set up a blacklist system to punish badly behaved tourists, such as those who leave graffiti,” said Gu. “The blacklist will be made public through media outlets.” And since tourists have to register to enter the area, offenders can consider themselves permanantly banned moving forward.

This announcement comes at the peak season for Everest, with about 550 visits a day to the base camp, and after Chinese authorities created a similar setup at the Great Wall of China. “It’s a way of getting travelers to change their habits without even knowing it,” added Gu.

 

Travel+ Leisure

Chinese company sues promoter over Back street boys show

The Backstreet Boys are in the middle of a little showdown in big China — between a concert touring company and a promoter accused of pulling a $2 million scam.

The touring company says it forked over the cash to a woman named Angela Wong, who posed as a successful promoter who’d previously brought Britney Spears over to China … and said she could do the same with BSB.

The company says Wong promised she’d lock in the Boys for 10 concerts last March, but she eventually tried to postpone the scheduled dates. According to the suit, things really got fishy when the Backstreet Boys ended up coming to China around those dates … but through a different promoter.

The suit says Wong gave back $640k when the company called her out, but now it’s suing to get the rest of the money back … plus damages.

-TMZ