Buganda Kingdom loyalists in Nakasongola district have embarked on a campaign to rebuild the palace of Kabaka Ronald Muwenda Mutebi that was burnt on Sunday.
Unidentified people set ablaze the palace, which is located at Nakasongola district headquarters at around 3am on Sunday. Part of the same palace was gutted by fire in August 2016.
Buganda chiefs have pointed accusing fingers at Buruuli chiefdom officials in both incidents- a charge they have vehemently denied.
On Tuesday, a group of Buganda loyalists led by Gerald Kyanjo, the Kabaka’s representative in Buruuli County alias Kimbugwe started fencing off the land on which, the burnt palace was built.
Kyanjo told URN that they are currently fundraising and mobilizing well-wishers to build a better palace for the Kabaka. He disclosed that they intend to raise more than Shillings 300 million to erect permanent structures.
Abbas Luninze, the Speaker Buruuli County council has asked the Central government to restrain Buruuli Chiefdom loyalists from acts of provocation, saying it may lead to violence.
But Samuel Kaweesi, the spokesperson of Buruuli Chiefdom, says they agreed with Mengo officials and Police to erect temporally structures to accommodate Kabaka Mutebi during his visit in 2015, which wasn’t done.
He says the land where the palace is being built belongs to Buruuli chiefdom.
Nakasongola authorities have declined to comment on the renewed protests. Sam Kiguli, the Nakasongola LC V chairman, told URN they were still consulting on the matter.
URN has also learnt that Security Minister, Lieutenant General Henry Tumukunde has reached to both parties and asked them to remain calm as he prepares to meet them for dialogue.
By Charles Kizindo Lule
Buruuli Chiefdom has denied allegations of conniving with arsonists who set fire on Buganda Kabaka’s palace in Nakasongola.
Unknown people set the palace adjacent to the Nakasongola district headquarters ablaze on Sunday but fire fighters and residents were quick to put out the inferno. Care takers of the palace accused some Baruuli people of burning the palace because of their hatred for the kingdom.
Information minister in Buruuli Chiefdom Samuel Kaweesi says this is a baseless allegations.
By Moses Kidandi
The Kabaka of Buganda His Majesty Ronald Mutebi II has argued people in the diaspora to invest in profitable projects for the development of their kingdom.
Speaking to Baganda in the diaspora on Wednesday night at Lubiri Mengo ,The Kabaka implored his subjects in the diaspora to embrace their culture rather than promoting foreign culture.
He further advised them to get proper documents for their land when they come here to avoid land grabbing.
The chairman of the Ugandans in the diaspora Abbey walusimbi says the Kabaka’s advise in attracting more investments to Uganda is timely.
By Sania Babirye
Police has arrested a man who sued the Kabaka of Buganda over the 600000 fee of registration for all tenants on Buganda land.
Mabirzi Male was arrested by police in civilian clothes after a one Senyonga Kyeyune dragged him to court accusing him of fraudulently selling him land at 16 million Uganda shillings in Namugongo yet he had already sold it.
He is now being held at the Kira police station. He had turned up at court for the hearing of the case against the Kakaba when he was nabbed.
By Daudi Zirimala
The King of Buganda Ronald Muwenda Mutebi II is concerned about the increasing cases of Child sacrifices in the country.
Kabaka is also worried about the delay to release reports about cases of child sacrifices by the police and urged parents to remain extremely vigilant about the movements of their children in a bid to reduce cases of child kidnap.
He made the remarks while opening the 24thBuganda Lukiiko at Bulange Mengo.