Dr Birungi says overlapping and repeated content has been merged and irrelevant content dropped because the curriculum was content heavy, sometimes beyond the capacity that O’level students could handle. Dr Birungi says the content in the new curriculum will be commiserating to the age level of students.
President Museveni last week gave a nod to the new O’level curriculum. Salient changes in the new curriculum include merging subjects such as Principles of Accounts and Commerce into Entrepreneurship while Technical Drawing, Wood Work and Metal Work have been merged into the newly-introduced subject – Technology and Design.
The number of O-Level subjects has been reduced to 20 from 32. The approved subjects include; English language, Mathematics, Geography, History, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Religious Education, Entrepreneurship, Foreign Languages, Local Languages, Kiswahili, Information Communication and Technology, Nutrition and Food Technology, Technology and Design, Performing Arts (Music, Dance and Drama), Fine Art, Physical Education, Agriculture and Literature in English.
Dr Birungi says the new curriculum will bring a huge relief to O’level learners who are young and still growing. There is no reason, she argued why these children should be given too much content.
She says the new curriculum does not mean current teachers will be dropped and new ones hired. The current teachers will go through rigorous training in the next two years before a new curriculum is rolled out in 2020.
Dr Birungi says there will be no back and forth movements in the new curriculum development since it has been approved by the president. The president had rejected an earlier curriculum in December 2016. She said NCDC got good advice in 2016 which helped them in the revision of the curriculum that has been accepted.
A continuous competence assessment based on skills attained in subjects taught from Senior One to four has also been introduced in the new curriculum. The continuous assessment will account for 20 percent of the O-Level final score at senior four.
Dr Birungi made the remarks at Uganda Media Centre today while addressing journalists on the revival of African Curriculum Organisation conference which will be hosted by Uganda from 28th to 31st. The conference will bring together and unite continental curriculum experts in a bid to improve education in Africa and share good practices.
According to Bintabara, they will return the money to the contributors since they recorded the details of each contributor.
He says the statements attributed to Museveni following the NRM caucus last week are a clear indication that he isn’t willing to retire.
Wilberforce Ongomu Ahimbisibwe, the former Rwampara County FDC parliamentary candidate, says many people had shown interest in contributing towards the cause. He says they thought it wise to suspend the campaign and look for other options.
Daniel Kafureka, the Mbarara District FDC General Secretary says it is unfortunate that Members of parliament from the ruling party have failed to explain to the president the need for him to relinquish power and give Ugandans a gift of a peaceful transition.
Kafureka says the time is now for the president to listen to the cries of Ugandans at the grassroots rather than connive with members of parliament whose only interest to get money from him.
President Museveni has warned Best Kemigisa, the Queen Mother of Tooro Kingdom against carrying out illegal land evictions.
Museveni issued the warning while appearing on Voice of Tooro radio station in Fort Portal on Wednesday night as part of his nationwide campaign to explain the proposed Constitutional amendments on land.
The warning stems from complaints from some callers against the Queen mother. Steven Mugurusi, a resident of Kitumba requested the President to reign in on Kemigisa. In his response Museveni directed Kemigisa to stop the evictions, saying they are contrary to the law. “The law is very clear; no one should be evicted from their land. That person (Kemigisa) should stop,” Museveni said.
Kemigisa has in the past come under criticism for evicting families using Uganda Peoples’ Defense Force (UPDF) soldiers attached to the security detail of King Oyo. Some of the families are in Kitumba and Kidukuru villages in Fort Portal. Last year, Kemigisa threatned to evict more than 70 families from a piece of land measuring 25 acres in Kitumba. She said that she wants to use the land to construct a school.
Museveni also said that should the evictions persist, the actions of Kemigisa should be brought to the attention of the local leaders in the district and action taken. “It’s good you have told me who is evicting people from their land. This should stop and the leaders in the district should take note and do something”, Museveni said.
In May, Tooro Elders under their umbrella, Isaazi lyAbaantu Bakuru Ba Tooro petitioned the Justice Catherine Bamugemereire Land Commission over Kemigisa’s actions. On the controversial leasing of crater lakes to Ferdsult Engineering Services Limited by Kabarole district local government, Museveni said that the investor should have thoroughly consulted the community surrounding the lakes before restocking the lakes.
“The fishermen have been using the lakes for a long time, they should have been consulted before restocking started. I don’t see any problem with both parties sitting to find an amicable solution”, Museveni said. Kabarole District Local government in 2015 allegedly leased twenty crater lakes to Ferdsult Engineering Services Limited to restock them with Fish.
This prompted Kichwamba Sub County residents to challenge the matter in court. In June Fort Portal High Court Resident Judge, Justice Anthony Ojok Ayuko cancelled the deal citing irregularities. Ferdsult and Kabarole district local government have since appealed the judgment.
President Yoweri Museveni has appointed Justice Alphonse Owiny-Dollo as the Deputy Chief Justice.
In his August 18 letter to the Speaker of Parliament, the president also appointed Justices Paul Mugamba and Richard Buteera to the Supreme Court bench.
“This is, therefore, to forward to you their names and Curriculum Vitae for parliamentary approval,” the president concludes his letter.
The letter is copied to the Prime Minister, Minister of Justice and Constitutional Affairs and the Chairperson of the Judicial Service Commission.
If approved by Parliament, Justice Owiny-Dollo will replace Justice Steven Kavuma who retired in April having served in the position for two years.
In May last year, Justice Owiny-Dollo convicted seven men behind the July 11, 2010 terror attacks in Kampala that claimed the lives of 74 people.
The double bombing targeted two venues the Ethiopian Restaurant and Kyadondo Rugby Club as revelers watched the World Cup Final match between Spain and the Netherlands.
Five of the convicts were sentenced to life imprisonment while the two received 50 years each. Thirteen others were acquitted.
It was the calm demeanour with which Justice Owiny-Dollo handled the highly sensitive case that endeared him to many. The men could have faced the death penalty, the maximum for terrorism, but Owiny-Dollo said he did not believe it would act as a deterrent.
By Wasswa Deo
Forum for Democratic Change Party spokesperson Ibrahim Semujju Nganda has said that if Museveni has failed to control his appetite for power, they will help him to do so.
Addressing journalists at the weekly press conference, Ssemujju revealed that he is in consultation meetings with other opposition political parties, religious leaders, civil society organizations and other stakeholders to come up with the applicable measures to prevent President Yoweri Museveni and his agents from amending the constitution, especially article 102 b, regarding the presidential age limit.
He noted that the party has already agreed that all members of parliament who will be found supporting the removal of Age Limit will become their target in the war to make them lose their positions in coming general elections 2021.
Ssemujju has appealed to the public also to join the struggle against lifting of the Presidential age limit and any other emerging plans by the ruling government that continues to violate the National constitution.
During a press conference at City house party president Nobert Mao said that the committee’s recommendation to block president Museveni from getting a supplementary budget to refund the handshake was among the best ideas.
He adds that even power sharing in signing of Government documents within ministries as per the report will minimize mistakes like minister Saida Bumba did when she signed on documents which she didn’t read through an act indicating that she could even have signed her resignation letter if it had been tabled before her.
Ssenkubuge was hit by a falling tree while in the garden in 2006 and was rushed to Mulago National Referral Hospital with an injured backbone. According to Ssenkubuge, he was discharged hoping to get better, but there hasn’t been any improvement since then.
Ssenkubuge says both his arms and legs are paralysed. He however, says he has lost of recovering since his family is unable to raise any money for his treatment.
Ssenkubuge lives with his mother, Janet Nakitende and sister, Harriet Nakungu. The two attend to Ssenkugu using proceeds from cultivating their four-acre piece of land.
Harriet Nakungu says during his Operation Wealth Creation tour in Luweero district President Yoweri Museveni visited the family and the issue of Ssenkubuge was brought to his attention.
According to Nakungu, Museveni asked the State House medical team to take over the case, but they are still waiting for the fulfilment of the pledge.
Doctor Sinani Mabuya, a doctor at Luweero Health Centre IV, says Ssenkubuge needs to undergo a fresh scan to establish it is his backbone or spinal cord, which is damaged. According to Mubuya, the back bone can easily be healed, but the spinal cord is difficult to handle, adding that he may need palliative care for survival.
State House hasn’t yet commented as the two press secretaries, Don Wanyama and Linda Nabusayi couldn’t pick our calls to their cellphone. Lillian Nakate, the Luweero Woman MP who accompanied President Museveni during the visit to the family has promised to follow up the matter to ensure the patient is helped.
By Annah Nafula
The president of Uganda Yoweri Kaguta Museveni has asked that Ugandans pay more attention to imparting skills to young people. While speaking at the Kampala Serena during the State of the Nation Address, the president mentioned that the literacy rate had improved greatly but is now focusing on imparting more skills to the youth.
The president also mentioned that he has invested in a number of youth groups to help them acquire skills with hope that in turn they can become wealthy and job creators. He said he had invested in a number of youth groups in Katwe, Najeera, Kalerwe among others. He added that effort should be put on those in Kampala first.
He mentioned that he had identified land on Entebbe road at Abayita ababiri, where he asked that the MPs work with him to create industrial structures for the youth.