Police in Mbarara have failed to produce in court three people who were last week arrested for allegedly conducting a mock funeral for President Yoweri Museveni.
The three are 20-year-old Abert Nangumya, a student at Bishop Stuart University, Rodgers Asiimwe, 26, and Maxi Muhumuza, a spokesperson of Ankole Kingdom. They were on Thursday found in possession of a coffin with an inscription “Rest in Peace Museveni,” and a portrait of the president.
In the same coffin, were names of Justice Minister Kahinda Otafiire and several Members of Parliament.
According to police, the suspects were protesting against a ploy by government to amend Article 102 of the 1995 Constitution which puts a ceiling on the age of the person holding office of the president at 75. They face charges of sedition that carries a sentence of up to five years in prison if found guilty. The case is registered under file number SD 06/06/07/2017.
Early today, a group of friends and relatives had gathered at the Mbarara High Court where the suspects were expected to appear but this did not materialise as the suspects were nowhere to be seen.
Alex Mukanga is one of those who thought that the suspects would be brought to court. He says that he was disappointed to see that the police brought other suspects leaving the group behind.
Bright Muhumuza, another concerned resident says that the behaviour of the police in this matter indicates that they are interested it. He says that he and his group have since Thursday made several attempts to visit the suspects and talk to them in addition to securing bond for them in vain.
Medard Bahumwire, a friend to Rodgers Asiimwe, one of those arrested, faults the police for denying him and other people a chance to visit the suspects which he says is unacceptable. Bahumwire says that holding the suspects beyond 48 hours and failure to produce them in court tantamount to a human rights violation.
Rwizi regional police spokesperson Samson Kasasira, however, told URN that the police are not playing any games as alleged. He says the police are waiting for a file on the matter from the Directorate of Public Prosecutions (DPP).
He says that once a response is received from the DPP, the police will take the necessary action.
The protest comes at the backdrop of reports that a section of National Resistance Movement – NRM party legislators have mooted a plan to amend the constitution to allow President Museveni to contest for the presidency in 2021 and that the constitutional amendment bill on the same has already been gazetted.
Under the current provision in Article 102(b) of the constitution, President Museveni would be above 75 years and therefore ineligible to contest for the seat. Born in 1944 and in power since 1986, Museveni will hit 75 in 2019, two years before the general elections.
Sipi Regional Police Commander Musa Nabende told Uganda Radio Network this morning that Olanya was on Tuesday evening deployed together with three of his colleagues at the ongoing trade show organised by Kapchorwa Forestry Association Limited at Kapchorwa Boma Ground.
But, his colleagues say that Olanya excused himself from the duty station but did not disclose where he was heading. Moments later, he was attacked by panga-wielding people who cut off his neck, killing him on the spot. They fled away with his AK47 riffle and a magazine.
Nabende explained that a number of bullets were found scattered on the scene indicating that the deceased struggled to defend himself against the attackers before they overpowered him.
The body of the deceased has been taken to Kapchorwa Hospital for postmortem.
This incident occurred more than a year after unidentified gunmen attacked Kapchorwa Central Police Station shooting dead one policeman and taking off with three guns and 90 rounds of ammunition.
It was later confirmed that the attackers were on a mission to rescue suspects who were arrested on February 29 following an attack on a UPDF soldier and a staff of Uganda Wildlife Authority, where one gun was stolen at Mulungwa detach in Benet sub county, Kween district.
Joseph Omoo alias Ajep, Lira’s most wanted and self-confessed serial criminal has been re-arrested. Ajep was picked up from Mbale over the weekend by a team of Police Flying Squad operatives from Kampala and Lira.
Robert Abak, the Lira Resident District Commissioner, says Ajep was picked up together with his three accomplices including his girlfriend. Police identifies the three other suspects as Emma Atim, Daniel Owiny and Ayub Ateka.
The suspects were briefly held at Mbale Central Police Station before they were driven to Lira Central Police Station where they are being held. Ajep escaped from custody on Friday last week following his admission at Lira Regional Referral Hospital for multi-drug TB treatment.
Two prison warders who were deployed to guard him in the TB ward in the hospital were arrested and remanded for aiding the inmate to escape. The two warders are Corporal Denis Ogweng and Corporal Patrick Buhsendish, both attached to Lira Central Government Prison.
Police suspected foul play in the way the inmate escaped since they found his handcuffs they have used to tie him on the bed open. Shortly after his escape, Ajep made telephone calls to several radio stations in Lira town implicating police for aiding his escape.
Ajep also boasted that he couldn’t be rearrested since he had paid the officers Shillings 9.7 million to aid him escape, a claim police have vehemently denied. Ajep faces the charges of escaping from jail, simple and aggravated robbery. He is accused of being the mastermind of several robberies and murder of several boda boda cyclists in Lira Town.
Voters in Kabbubu polling stations N-Z in Kyadondo East have expressed mixed feelings after police directed them to vacate the premises after voting.
Kazimbazi Lawrence, one of the voters who has just cast his vote, says the police order means they will not stay at the polling stations in order to guard against possible irregularities.
Muhammad Balikowa, the Officer in Charge Kabbubu Police post says the electorates are being dispersed to avoid commotion by boda boda motorists who have formed groups at the entrance to the polling station. These groups were directing people to vote specific candidates, according to Balikowa.
He advises them to monitor the elections from a distance.
The Kyadondo East parliamentary seat fell vacant after the Court of Appeal upheld the decision of the High Court nullifying the victory of Apollo Kantinti, a member of the opposition Forum for Democratic Change (FCD). Court cited non-compliance with the electoral laws, disfranchising voters and failing to secure custody of election materials.
Kantinti is in the race to reclaim his seat alongside four other candidates including Sitenda Sebalu who is standing on the ruling NRM party ticket.
It is Sebalu who petitioned court after losing to Kantinti by a margin of 326 votes in the February 2016 parliamentary race.
Other candidates in the race are Independents Robert Kyagulanyi Sentamu also known as Bobi Wine, a local musician, Nkunyingi Muwada Sowedi Kayongo Male. Though Kyagulanyi and Nkunyingi stood as Independents, they have both identified with FDC before.
After casting his ballot at Magere Polling station, Kyagulanyi called for calm among his supporters.
Flanked by his wife Barbara Itungo, Kyagulanyi arrived at Magere at 8:30am and cast his vote at 8:45am.
“I Pray to God that many people will vote me today so that our dream as Kyadondo East people bears fruits,” Kyagulanyi told some of his excited supporters. As he left the polling station, he appealed to his supporters to look after the voting process. “I ask you (supporters) to stay at the polling station to protect our votes. Represent me at polling station and I will represent you in parliament,” he said.
Kyadondo East has 93 polling stations and 72,818 registered voters.
By Robert Segawa
Fire guts number of cassava and maize mills in Kisenyi, down town Kampala destroying property worth billions of shillings.
According to director fire and rescue services in Uganda police Joseph Mugisa the fire started from make shift structure that houses the mills and spread to Salabed building the stores of Salabed shipping cargo.
20 maize and cassava mill machines were destroyed in the fire, stores of car engines belonging to Salabed shipping cargo, tonnes of maize floor shops and other expensive properties destroyed.
According to Mugisa, fire was too big to be contained within short period of time and fire brigade will maintain its presence at the scene until they assured nothing can re-ignite any other fire.
Sserwadda Richard the chairman of produce dealers attributed the cause of fire on land wrangles between the two tycoons.
He appealed to ministry of disaster and preparedness to come to their rescue.
The police fire department says there is no death or injuries recorded so far in the Kisenyi fire .
He says the fire was fueled by radiation from the compact make shift ‘. He says investigation is underway to establish the cause of fire.
By Sania Babirye
The land commission of inquiry chair Justice Catherine Bamugemeire has ordered for the immediate arrest of the senior registrar of titles in the ministry of lands and urban development Lwera Atalo Bwogere for issuing titles in wetlands.
Atalo who was appearing before the seven member commission was arrested and taken to Wandegeya police station after justice Catherine Bamugemeire accused her of giving contradicting evidence regarding issuing of land titles in wetlands especially in Wakiso district.
On Thursday, the commission discovered that land titles were issued in Kijabijo wetland under her order however Atolo angered justice Catharine Bamugemeire when she alleged that she was not aware that the land was a wetland while she was issuing the said land titles.
37 year old Atalo has been working in the ministry for the past 12 years and before she became a senior registrar of titles she was stationed at Wakiso district.
The said titles are said to have been issued between 20th January 2016 to 8th February same year.
Ntungamo Police are holding a 48-year-old man and his nephew accused of hacking to death a school girl. James Nagwedda is wanted together with his 12-year-old nephew in connection to the death of 14- year-old Girimina Nahirwa, a Primary 5 pupil at Kanonko primary School.
Girimina’s mutilated body was found lying in a sugar cane plantation in Kanonko cell in Nyakabare parish-Rukoni west in Ruhaama County in Ntungamo district. Her head, legs and arms were missing raising suspicion that it could have been taken to a witch doctor.
Gilbert Ocakacon, the Officer in Charge Kitwe Police Station, says Nagwedda who has been working as the area LC I Secretary is said to have worked with his nephew to kill the young girl on June 18th 2017. Girimina is the daughter to one of the residents only identified as Yakobo.
It is alleged that Girimina met her death after picking a quarrel with Nagwedda’s nephew that resulted in a fight at Kanonko water spring. Ocakacon explains that after killing the deceased, Nagwedda and his nephew removed her head, hands and legs before disposing off the torso to make it appear like it was a ritual murder.
Kakuru Masheija, the Nyakabare area LC 2 Chairman says the incident angered residents prompting them to destroy the suspect’s homes. He says residents also found property in the home of the boy’s father only identified as Ntegyereize, which raised suspicion.
He says they found 50 six inch mattresses, 4 bicycles, 4 Sewing machines, 60 Metallic cases and other brand new items worth millions of Shillings. Mushaija says Ntegyereize has been working as a witch doctor and that the mutilation of the deceased’s body prompted residents to conclude that he was performing some rituals.
Samson Kasasira, the Rwizi Regional Police Spokesperson says investigations into the matter are ongoing. He advises the residents to desist from mob justice, saying it hampers investigations.