President Museveni not interested in succession and removal of age limit talk

President Yoweri Museveni has dismissed calls to discuss the removal of the age limit from the constitution and his succession, saying it’s not the right time.

Recently, a section of the media carried reports showing that some legislators allied to the ruling National Resistance Movement-NRM party were planning to table a resolution pushing the removal of tap limits.

President Museveni’s son-in-law, Odrek Rwabwogo also wrote to the media calling for debate on the political transition, economic reforms and internal democracy in NRM. Now, president, Museveni has distanced himself from talk of the removal of the age limit, saying he isn’t interested in the matter.

Museveni will be above 75 years at the expiry of his current term, which makes him ineligible to contest for presidency without the removal of the age limit from the constitution.

Addressing journalists at Kawumu State Lodge in Luweero district on Tuesday evening, Museveni said he is only concerned about the future of Africa and what should be done but not small things like age limit.

Abdul Nadduli, the Minister Without Portfolio agrees with Museveni, but warns him to reign in on his family members and relatives, saying they may lead to his downfall.

But the Democratic Party president, Norbert Mao will not have any of this. According to Mao, Museveni is interested in the removal of the age limits to allow him become president for life.

He argues that NRM has no alternative to succeed Museveni that is why they are plotting to remove the age limit to enable him stand again.

According to Mao, Ugandans should continue discussing the political transition and avoid being diverted by Museveni that he isn’t interested in the matter.

He notes that Museveni duped Ugandans that he was not interested in the removal of term limits from the constitution but turned around to bribe MPs to pass the proposal.

 

 

-URN

Mayanja Nkangi dies at Nakasero Hospital

By Moses Kidandi
Veteran Politician , former finance minister ,Justice Minister, Attorney General,and former Katikiro of Buganda Joach mayanja Nkanji is dead.
Mayanja Nkanji died at Nakasero hospital  where he had been hospitalized.
He will be remembered for several of his roles in Buganda and the country at large . He was also co founder of the conservative party currently being ran by John Ken Lukyamuzi the man .

Kamuli by election slated for April 12th

Over twenty thousand voters are expected to vote in the up coming by Elections for Member of Parliament for Kamuli Municipality set for 12th April.
The by Election follows the order by the court of appeal calling for fresh Elections after Salam Musumba contested the election of her opponent Rehema Tiwuwe wetangula for using fake academic papers.
Electoral commission chairman Justice Byabakama Mugenyi Simon says the commission will conduct nominations in march with strict inspection of candidates academic qualifications on Thursday 23rd and 24 of March

MP Logiel dies in Denmark due to brain tumor complications

Moroto Woman Member of Parliament, Annie Logiel, is dead.

Matheniko County MP Dr John Baptist Lokii says that Logiel passed on at 1am after suffering complications of the brain. He says the MP had gone for the second brain surgery in Denmark as a result of brain tumor.

Moroto Resident District Commissioner Peter Ken Lochap expressed shock over the demise. He described the deceased a peace loving leader who united the Bokora of Napak and Matheniko of Moroto during the warring times.

Annie Logiel, 47, joined Parliament in 2016. She is a trained nurse and founder of Karamoja Traditional Healers Association that largely earned her popularity in Moroto. The late is survived by a son and daughter.

 

 

-URN

Makerere reschedules exams to commemorate Janani Luwum day

Makerere University has postponed 42 examinations scheduled for Thursday this week to mark Janani Luwum Day.

Government gazetted February 16 as a public holiday in memory of the life and works of Archbishop Janani Jakaliya Luwum, of the Church of Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi and Boga-Zaire, who was killed in February 1977.

In a February 9 circular released by Alfred Masikye Namoah, the Makerere University Academic Registrar, all examinations scheduled for Thursday this week have been postponed until Monday February 20.

“Thursday 16th of February, 2017 will be a Public Holiday in memory of the Late Archbishop Janani Luwum. The examinations which had been scheduled to take place on Thursday 16th February, 2017 have been postponed to Monday 20th February, 2017 at the same venues and time,” said Masikye.

Abaasi Kizito, the students Guild Information Minister said they had received the communication on postponing of the paper earlier today and as students’ leaders they had not taken a position to it.

“We have not yet pronounced ourselves on this issue since the guild has not sat. But as you can see this is an inconvenience. It disorganises us because people had different programmes and we have a short break.”

Owen Natukunda, a third year student of Social Sciences blamed the university for not having planned for it earlier.

“You cannot tell me that the Academic Registrar has just known it today that on Thursday 16th was a public holiday. This is some sort of disorganisation by our administrators and it is inconveniencing.”

Natukunda wondered why the administrators did not let students do examinations even on a public holiday since the university is operating under abnormal circumstances. The end of semester one examinations are usually done between November 30 and December 20, but a two-month closure of the university caused the postponement to February.

Three years ago, President Yoweri Museveni declared February 16 ‘Janani Luwum Day’ for people to celebrate his life.

Luwum is the second African Archbishop of the Province of Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi and Boga Zaire and the second Bishop of Kampala Diocese, 1974-1977.

 

 

 

 

-URN

 

 

 

Parliamentarians with pending election petitions demand for vehicles cash

37 members of parliament with pending election petitions in the Court of Appeal are pushing for the release of their vehicle cash. The MPs have petitioned the Speaker, Rebecca Kadaga demanding the release of their money. Each MP in the 10th parliament is entitled to Shillings 150 million for the purchase of a vehicle to facilitate their movement in the constituency. On October 11, 2016, parliament disbursed Shillings 43.2 billion to the law makers to procure vehicles.

Each MP received Shillings 100 million on their personal bank accounts. Earlier on, the Parliamentary Commission resolved not to disburse money to all legislators with election petitions until they are cleared by court to avoid cases where parliament is forced to release more cash once such a legislator is kicked out by court and replaced by another person. However, in their January 12, 2017 petition to the speaker, the petitioners demand for the release of their vehicle cash.

“We the under signed members of the 10th Parliament of Uganda, hereby log in a petition to your attention and the entire Parliamentary Commission over a matter of failure to transfer funds for purchase of vehicles as duly assigned”, reads the petition seen by URN. Adding that, “It’s also clear that half of the Members of Parliament who still have pending court appeals have been paid.”

They also claim that ex officials who are already provided for by their sector dockets and do not represent any constituency have been paid the vehicle money. They question the criteria used to pay out the vehicle cash. “Rt Hon Speaker, it should be noted among members who lost their cases at High Court and now in Court of Appeal; some have been paid whereas others have, the same applies to that won cases at high court and were appealed against. Therefore we are puzzled on the criterion of selection”, they said.

Peter Ogwang, the Usuk County Member of parliament who also doubles as Parliamentary Commissioner, says parliament used different approaches to arrive at, which MP receives the vehicle cash first. “We began with the new MPs following alphabetical order because some of the new MPs were facing transport challenges. The other MPs will also be catered for because the money is available”, Ogwang said.

He also confirmed that some of the MPs facing election petitions have received the vehicle. They asked the Speaker to authorize the transfer of funds meant for purchase of vehicles to their respective accounts so as to enable them acquire the vehicles like any other member of the 10th parliament. “We pray that you resist any attempts by any authority wishing to detract you from effecting these payments as this has direct bearing on the performance of the 10th parliament and precedent for future challenges against any member of parliament,” they said.

Chris Obore, the Director of Communication and Public Relations in Parliament, told URN that the Parliamentary Commission halted the payment following public complaints. “Some few MPs with petitions had earlier received cash as was the case with the previous Parliaments. But their payment elicited complaints forcing the Commission to review the matter. The Commission will examine the petition of unpaid MPs with Court cases and make a decision”, Obore said.

He confirmed that two or three MPs with election petitions have received the vehicle money. Patrick Okabe, the Serere County MP is one of the legislators battling a petition in Soroti High Court for alleged lack of academic papers. “We can’t wait forever for the court cases to be disposed of yet we are still having the mandate of our people who badly need us to serve them. How do they expect us to travel to our constituencies?” he said.

 

 

-URN

Besigye vows not to return to court for the treason case mention

By Sania Babirye
Former FDC presidential Candidate Dr. Kiiza Besigye says he will petition the constitutional court seeking orders to halt treason charges against him before the Nakawa court.
This follows failure by the DPP to commit Besigye to the high court for trial since May 2016 when he was arrested and charged with treason . Besigye was charged after a video clip  emerged of him taking oath of Presidency months after the February elections.
Prosecution asked for more time to complete investigation of the case which is still ongoing so that Besigye can be committed for trial. Besigye today appeared before Nakawa chief magistrate Noah Ssajabi and  vowed not to return back to Nakawa court for mention of the same case.The case has been adjourned to the 27th of February for further mention.

Yahya Jammeh leaves Gambia with more than $11m worth State coffers

More than $11m (£8.8m) is missing from The Gambia’s state coffers following the departure of long-time leader Yahya Jammeh, an adviser to President Adama Barrow has said.

Mai Ahmad Fatty said financial experts were trying to evaluate the exact loss.

Luxury cars and other items were seen being loaded on to a Chadian cargo plane on the night Mr Jammeh left the country.

Mr Jammeh flew into exile on Saturday, ending his 22 years in power.

He had refused to accept election results but finally left after mediation by regional leaders and the threat of military intervention.

President Barrow remains in neighbouring Senegal and it is not clear when he will return.

However, West African troops entered the Gambian capital, Banjul, on Sunday to prepare for his arrival.

Cheering crowds gathered outside the State House to watch soldiers secure the building.

 

 

 

-BBC

Despite our political views I had a working relationship with Tito Okello – Museveni

By Kidandi Moses
President Yoweri Museveni has described former President General Tito Okello as a man who used to work for consensus and harmony.
Museveni made the remarks at a ceremony where he joined the people of  Acholi Sub-Region in Northern Uganda to pay tribute to  General Tito Okello Lutwa.

General Okello Lutwa served as President of Uganda from July 1985-January 26 1986. He died on 3rd June 1996 aged 82 years.
President Museveni further disclosed that despite their political differences, he kept a good working relationship with General Okello Lutwa, which he noted, later laid a foundation for the new generation.
The memorial service was organized to celebrate the lifetime contributions of the late Gen. Tito Okello Lutwa at Lapana village, Namukora Parish, Chua East Constituency in Kitgum district.

ECOWAS issues an ultimatum to Jammeh to leave office before noon today

Mr Jammeh has been given until noon on Friday to leave office or be forced out by UN-backed regional forces.

Troops have been told to halt their advance until the deadline passes.

The Economic Community of West African States (Ecowas) is acting in support of Adama Barrow, who was sworn in as the new Gambian president on Thursday.

His legitimacy as president, after winning last month’s election, has been recognised internationally.

Last-ditch mediation talks, led by Guinea’s President Alpha Conde, are due on Friday morning.

Chairman of the Ecowas commission, Marcel Alain de Souza, said that if the meeting with Mr Conde proved unsuccessful, militarily action would follow.

“If by midday, he [Mr Jammeh] doesn’t agree to leave The Gambia under the banner of President Conde, we really will intervene militarily,” he said.

Ecowas said that its forces had encountered no resistance after entering The Gambia on Thursday.

Troops from Senegal and other West African countries crossed into The Gambia after an initial deadline for Mr Jammeh to stand down passed with his resignation.

Mr Barrow, who remains in Senegal, has said that he will not return to Gambia’s capital, Banjul, until the military operation had ended.

The threat by the West African regional bloc Ecowas to remove Mr Jammeh by force is supported by the 15-member UN Security Council, although the council has stressed that a political solution should be the priority.

A Senegalese army spokesman, Col Abdou Ndiaye, told the BBC that troops who were now in The Gambia were prepared to fight if necessary.

“It is already war, if we find any resistance, we will fight it,” he said, adding: “If there are people who are fighting for the former president, we will fight them.”

But Col Ndiaye said the main goal of Ecowas was to restore democracy and to allow the newly-elected president to take power.

 

 

 

-BBC