HON.KABAFUZANKI’S POLITICAL AID BACK TRACKS ON HIS EARLIER PLEA, NOW PLEADS NOT GUILTY

By Edwin Muhumuza

Drama has erupted this morning in the Anti-corruption court after Hon.Kabafunzaki’s political assistant Brian Mugabo back tracked on his earlier admission of having hid the five million shillings which the state minister is alleged to have received from the Proprietor of Aya group of companies.

Mugabo had returned today before chief magistrate Agnes Alum to be sentenced after he was convicted on his own plea however state prosecutor Kawuma Helene informed court that Mugabo had changed his mind on his plea on grounds that he did not understand the questions he pleaded guilty too.

The prosecutor has now charged Mugabo alongside Hon.Kabafuzanki and a one Bruce Lubowa with two counts of conspiring to solicit for a 15 million bribe.

He has also denied the charges. Last week told court that he was ready to become state witness so that he can pin the state minister over the charges of conspiring to solicit for a 15 million bribe from Mohammad Hamid the proprietor of the Aya group of companies.

He there for asked court to give him a lesser sentence to testify against the state minister.

Mugabo pleaded guilty to being an accessory after the commission of an offense.

He informed court   that he hid the envelope behind one of the curtains at Serena hotel containing the 5 million shillings which   the minister had allegedly accepted as a bribe.

He further told court that this came up after police detectives were searching the minister and asking him to reveal the alleged bribe which the minister has since denied ever receiving.

However the police used CCTV cameras to track the money.

The minister who was granted a five million cash bail will also return to court tomorrow for mention of his case together with Bruce Lubowa another suspect who was also denied bail.

Prosecution states  that between the 6th and the 8th April 20217 at Serena Hotel in Kampala district, Kabafunzaki directly solicited and accepted  a 5 million shillings Bribe from an Indian Investor Muhammed Muhammed Hamid,  the chairman Aya group of companies as an inducement to clear him of sexual harassment allegations levied against him by his former employee.

 

Video:NTV Uganda’s fate is still unknown.

Popular news channel NTV has been banned from covering the presidential candidate Yoweri Kaguta museveni’s rally until further notice. The Kampala Serena Conference Center based television went on air in December 2006 and airs across Uganda as a free-to-air Channel. NTV Uganda is a subsidiary of Nation Media Group.

The NRM campaign task force spokesperson Mike Ssebalu says the ban is because the station refused to accept footage taken by party drones which give the candidate a fair advantage in terms of the number of supporters who attend the rallies.

This action caused a lot of debate among the public which took to social media platforms especially twitter to express their feelings. According to the tweets, questions were raised to know why the television station did not use the footage given by the NRM media team. Other individuals were happy with NTV’s position of using their own footage stating that the media house has crew capable of covering the rally to have content for their views.

However, the media house has been described as the most professional television station in Uganda according to social media reaction. Sympathy has been expressed toward its staff such as Maurice Ochol who has been on the campaign trail.

Research World International a Kampala-based research firm, in partnership with NTV Uganda and Uganda Governance Monitoring platform between December 19, 2015, and January 10 carried out a poll that gives President Museveni 51 per cent ahead of his closest rival Dr Kizza Besigye at 32 per cent only less than a month to the February 18, presidential election.

The poll shows that since the campaigns began, FDC presidential candidate, Dr Kizza Besigye, and Independent candidate Amama Mbabazi , have made substantial gains and are closing in on Mr. Museveni with 32 per cent and 12 per cent.

 

Museveni offers to help battered WBS journalist

President Museveni has offered to support WBS journalist Andrew Lwanga, who was assaulted by Old Kampala District police commander Joram Mwesigye, to undergo treatment.

Mr Lwanga was reportedly assaulted by Mr Mwesigye on January 12, 2015, on Namirembe Road near Florida Bar and Guest House in Kampala while covering a demonstration by a group of unemployed youth, damaging his nervous system.

He has since been bed-ridden and out of work. He neither sits nor stands for long hours.

Ms Jennipher Lwanga, the victim’s mother, says his son’s condition is worsening everyday. She says doctors have informed her that the nerves of his son’s body were greatly affected by the lashes. The family has made consultations on the victim’s condition and that a specialist in the United States can rectify the problem at $50,000 (about Shs174 million).

President Museveni, who seemed oblivious of the widely publicised battering case, last Sunday directed his staff to follow it up after a fellow journalist brought up the matter during a press conference in Rwakitura, Kiruhura District. “Who is that (journalist)? My staff please follow up this one. I would want to support that person,” the President said.

Mr Mwesigye has since been interdicted and was charged with assault and malicious damage. Buganda Road Chief Magistrates Court will on February 4, hear from the last State witness in the trial.

Mr Mwesigye is also accused of damaging two video cameras belonging to Mr Lwanga and Mr Joseph Ssettimba near Shell Petrol Station in Bakuli, a city suburb.

Mr Ronald Galiwango, a cameraman from NTV and a third prosecution witness, in his recent testimony before the court, said he saw Mr Mwesigye brutally assaulting journalists.

He stated that first he saw Mr Mwesigye holding an electric cable and latter a stick, the objects he used to assault journalists. Mr Galiwango said all along he was using a video camera to record the incidents.

In a video footage, Mr Mwesigyewas viewed moving out of a car with a black cable and started dispersing some youth who were marching in a procession holding placards.

In the process, he lost stability and fell down.
Upon standing up, Mr Mwesigye used the black cable with hooks to whip a group of people who included journalists within his reach, forcing them to run in different directions.
Mr Mwesigye then put the cable aside and he is viewed picking a big stick from a police officer. He used this stick to hit Mr Lwanga twice on the head.


By  BETTY NDAGIRE|monitor.co.ug

‘I Am Cait’ Season 2 Spoilers: Caitlyn Jenner Opens Up About Her Sexuality; Jokes About Wanting ‘An Ex-Husband’

Caitlyn Jenner has undergone an unbelievable transformation since coming out as transgender last year and it seems she’s not quite done yet. Previews for the upcoming second season of E!’s “I Am Cait” suggest the former Olympian has another big announcement for her friends, family and fans.

As was reported by Us Weekly, an early teaser for the new season, which kicks off in March, suggests Caitlyn, 66, may be diving back into the dating pool. In the trailer the father-of-10 is asked about her sexual preferences by close friend Chandi Moore. The woman wonders whether or not Caitlyn, who has always dated and been attracted to women, considers herself “to be lesbian.” Caitlyn surprises her friends by revealing that she no longer plans to date women. Jennifer Boylan, one of Caitlyn’s closer friends on “I Am Cait,” jokes that her gal pal can now have the experience of having “an ex-husband,” which puts the entire bus into a laughing fit.

“To be honest with you, I don’t see myself dating women in the future,” Caitlyn says. “I’ve been there, done that, got three ex-wives.”

Caitlyn will also spend a portion of Season 2 mourning the loss of her former male identity. One portion of the clip shows holding her California drivers license while reminiscing about being Bruce Jenner. She shares with friends that she feels she may have been too quick to kick her male self to the curb, suggesting that “he didn’t deserve to be gone.”

Even with all the uncertainty and the ups and downs shown in the “I Am Cait” trailer, it’s clear Caitlyn has come a long way since her coming out. The reality star opened up about her challenging decision to live “authentically” during a speech at the Los Angeles premiere of “Tangerine” earlier this month. She told audience members she had learned a lot in  the last nine months, largely in part because she finally had the resources to do so. Caitlyn went on to say that she had been extremely isolated before making her transformation from Bruce into Caitlyn. She spent years feeling bad about herself, according to her personal account, before deciding she had no other choice but to be who she really is. Caitlyn said she got to such a low point that she felt the only other option was to come out. She said she knew that if she could find the strength to do it she could help make a difference to others living with similar thoughts and problems.


Source: ibtimes.com

Bill Cosby: Already guilty in the court of public opinion.

More than two decades and 60 accusers after women first called Bill Cosby a rapist and sex abuser, a prosecutor will try to prove beyond a reasonable doubt the crimes of which the fallen icon has long since been convicted in the court of public opinion.

Cosby, who has denied criminality to the point of suing some accusers, should welcome his arrest as the opportunity to finally clear his name. That is what he wants, is it not?

When he stands before judge and jury, Cosby will be presumed innocent — an enormous gift to a rich and powerful man who has spent years intimidating women into silence.

Until now, Cosby’s resources had secured for him the invaluable prize of time: He had bought his way past numerous statutes of limitations, but not the 12-year clock set by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, where Andrea Constand alleged that Cosby drugged and assaulted her in 2004 in his suburban Philadelphia home.

The local attorney declined to bring charges then. Constand sued Cosby, and he paid a settlement after her lawyers questioned him extensively under oath in a deposition that was long sealed.

There, while maintaining their relationship was consensual, he acknowledged giving Constand some drugs and engaging in sexual activity. Her version involved incapacitation. She says she took pills along with wine, then felt “paralyzed” as he violated her.

In announcing the charges against America’s Dad turned America’s Predatory Step Uncle, prosecutor Kevin Steele cited Cosby’s unsealed testimony, new evidence and the matching stories of so many other women.

“A person in that state cannot give consent” to engaging in sex, Steele said, perhaps signaling how he intends to win the he said-she said contest about an interaction so long ago between just two people, when all the world knows that with the toll of Cosby’s alleged victims standing at more like 60, the weight of the evidence is actually he said-she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said.


nydailynews.com

Fadumo : Al-Shabaab what can you do?

Somalia has been torn by decades of conflict since the 1991 ouster of long-time dictator Siad Barre by warlords who then turned on each other. Somalia had transitional administrations from 2004 but it did not have a functioning central government until the 2012 election of President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud.

In the last three years the country has stabilized but there is still a lot of work to do, Nicholas Kay, the outgoing representative for the UN Secretary General in Somalia, told The Associated Press.

“The country in the past two-three years has come together quite significantly. It is both politically stable and developed as well,” he said.

Kay said the parliamentary and presidential elections that are set for 2016 will take place and he expects leaders to respect the constitutional term limit of four years after they made firm commitments to do so. Somali leaders are currently discussing how elections will be held.

9ciEmqs

Among those standing for president is Fadumo Q. Dayib who has had her share of hardships but has perseverance against all odds. She was born in Kenya but was soon deported back to her native Somali due to her parents not having proper travel documents. According to the BBC, Dayib didn’t learn to read or write until age 14 but she recently received her Master’s degree in health care and public health from Harvard University.

The mother of four has already received death threats from the terrorist organization, Al-Shabaab but nothing can dissuade her from running.

“What can ‪‎Al-Shabaab do to a woman who has died 4 times? I died when I was born, I died when I was mutilated, I died on my wedding night and I died when I gave birth to my first child… I am not afraid of death. What can Al-Shabaab do to a woman who has died 4 times? I’d rather die for something I believe in, than live and be dead inside, because I don’t believe that a woman belongs either in a house or in a grave. That’s why I am running for President in 2016 in my country, ‪‎Somalia” she said in a speech given beginning of 2015.

This statement she posted in her Facebook page raise many concerns. But reading between the lines, her courageousness is an inspiration to all women!