Nubian Li, Eddie Mutwe further remanded

By Sania Babirye

The 36 National Unity Platform Party members led by Eddie Sebuwufu commonly known as Eddy Mutwe and Ali Bukeni commonly known as Nubian li have further been remanded to Kitalya and Kigo Government prisons until the 25th of this month by the General Court Martial.

The group had re-appeared today before the army Court for their second bail attempt, however, the prosecution team informed court that they needed more time to make replies to all their applications.

The lawyer of the suspects Anthony Wameeli has however expressed his frustration with the prosecution saying that it was not fair that Prosecution can claim to not be ready yet they had supplied them with all the documents a month ago.

Wameeli told the media that some of their clients like Den City needs immediate Medical attention because he is currently passing out blood in his urine, but it was absurd that Court did not take into account such urgent grounds to grant them bail.

He explained that it was unfair that its now over four months since the group was arrested on the 30th of December in Kalangala ,detained and remanded without trial.

Meanwhile, some of the NUP leaders including Mitiyana Municipality MP Francis Butebi Zaake, Aisha Kabanda and Hon. Flavia who had come to stand surety for the suspects were denied access to the Court by Military Police guarding the court premises.

This is the second time that the suspects are applying for bail before the same Court after the Seven member team led by Lt.Gen.Andrew Gutti denies them bail on the 15th of February this year , but granted bail to only 13 suspects who were women and two men seeking immediate medical attention.

Through their lawyers of Anthony Wameeli and Company Advocates, the suspects who are on remand at both Kitalya and Kigo government prisons claim that it is now over four Months since they were charged yet court has not fixed a date for hearing their case.

They further claim that bail is their constitutional right and that they will not interfere with any alleged ongoing investigations among other grounds.

While denying them bail, court ruled that the group was likely to incite more violence once granted bail.

The group also lost a case in the high Court inwhich they were challenging their trial in the army court despite being civilians.

On the 8th of january, these were charged with illegal possession of live ammunition( four magazine) in a court session in which their lawyers led by Medard Ssegona were no allowed to attend court.

According to Ssegona, their clients are just prisoners of conscience and that as a party they will continue seeking for justice for their clients since they are innocent.

The said members had been granted bail by the Masaka magistrate court but the army court later issued a production warrant and were re arrested and arraigned before the army Court and charged.

Prosecution states that the accused persons and others still at large on January 3rd 2021 while at Makerere Kavule, Kigundu Zone, Kawempe Division were found in possession of four rounds of ammunition of an AK 47 gun, which. is the monopoly of the defense forces.

These were arrested in December when Robert Kyagulanyi was concluding his presidential campaigns in Kalangala district.