Eddie Mutwe, Nubian Li, Dan magic denied bail

By Sania Babirye

The general Court Martial sitting in Makindye chaired by Lt Gen Andrew Gutti has declined to grant bail filed by the 36 NUP members arrested in Kalangala in December 2020 and charged with the illegal possession of four rounds of fire magazines and four bullets on grounds that if granted bail, the suspects might continue inciting the public to do violence.

The suspects include Bobiwine’s head of private security Eddie Sebuwufu aka Eddie Mutwe, singing partner, Ali Bukeni aka Nubian Li and producer Dan Magic among others.

However, lawyers representing NUP say they will be appealing the said ruling in the high court because they are dissatisfied with the ruling calling it unconstitutional.

According to NUP, Lt.Gen. Andrew Gutti has erred since he was just speculating on his reasons because none of the suspects has ever been convicted of any criminal offences related to inciting violence.

They add that for the chair of the army court declining this grant their members bail out of fantasy and speculation is unconstitutional and are ready to challenge the said ruling.

Officials from National Unity platform including party secretary general Lewis Rubongoya, party spokes person Joel Senyonyi and vice president Northern Uganda Lina Zedriga had turned up to court stand surety for their members to see that they get temporary freedom .

Last week, the same week granted bail to 13 mainly women and three men who were sick and needed immediate medical attention.

On the 8th of January, These were charged with illegal possession of live ammunition( four magazine) in a court session in which their lawyers led by Medard Ssegona were no allowed to attend court.

He says that these are just prisoners of conscience and that as a party they will continue seeking for justice for their clients since they are innocent.

He further revealed more about the said charge in which state claims that a search was conducted at one of the suspects residence and failed to get anything but after failing to get anything, the security operatives ordered one of the suspects to search in one of the dustbin and when one of the suspect to check the dustbin the security operatives had pointed out to him, they found the said alleged magazine

The said members had been granted bail by the Masaka magistrate court but the army court later issued a production warrant for them on Sunday leading to their arraignment today.

Prosecution states that the accused persons and others still at large on January 3rd 2021 while at Makerere Kavule, Kigundu Zone, Kawempe Division were found in possession of four rounds of ammunition of an AK 47 gun, which. is the monopoly of the defense forces.

Eddie Mutwe, Nubian Li and Dan Magic denied bail

By Sania Babirye

36 National Unity Platform Members out of the 49 arrested in December in Kalangala and charged with illegal possession of one fire magazine and four bullets have been denied bail by the General court Martial sitting in Makindye.

These including Bobiwine’s body guard Eddie Sebuwufu commonly known as Eddie Mutwe, singing partner Nubian Li, and producer Dan Magic have further been remanded to Kitalya and kigo government prisons until the Monday the 15th of this month for further reconsideration.

Court chaired by Lt Gen Andrew Gutti granted bail to only 13 including Chuma Kayesu after prosecution informed court that they have instructions to not object to their bail applications.

However Major Emma Karuhanga however informed court that they have instructions to oppose the rest of the bail applications including that of Nubian li and Eddie Mutwe.

Prosecution states that the accused persons and others still at large on January 3rd 2021 while at Makerere Kavule, Kigundu Zone, Kawempe Division were found in possession of four rounds of ammunition of an AK 47 gun, which. is the monopoly of the defense forces.

These are seeking to be granted on bail on grounds that bail was their constitutional rights, they have been tortured and had to fend for their families since they are the sole providers.

On the 8th of January, They were charged with illegal possession of live ammunition( one magazine) in a court session in which their lawyers led by Medard Ssegona were no allowed to attend court.

Ssegona later told the press that their clients are just prisoners of conscience and that as a party they will continue seeking for justice for their clients since they are innocent.

He further revealed more about the said charge in which state claims that a search was conducted at one of the suspects residence and failed to get anything but after failling to get anything, the security operatives ordered one of the suspects to search in one of the dustbin and when one of the suspect to check the dustbin the security operatives had pointed out to him, they found the said alleged magazine

The said members had been granted bail by the Masaka magistrate court but the army court later issued a production warrant for them yesterday leading to their arraignment today

Amuriat released on bail

By Sania Babirye

Forum for Democratic change presidential candidate Eng. Patrick Oboi Amuriat has been arraigned at Mpigi magistrate court and charged with accepting to be carried in a dangerous manner.

He appeared before Grade One Magistrate Ruth Nabaasa and pleaded not guilty to the said offence.

He has however been released on a 5 million non cash bail and his sureties ordered to pay 10 millions not cash.

Mention of his case has been adjourned to the 2nd of February this year.

POA was arrested on Sunday in Mpigi for sitting on top of and a motor vehicle and spent the night at Mpigi Central Police Station.

This is Amuriat’s second time being charged with the same offence in less than a week.

Police say Amuriat was sitting dangerously on top of a car and he put his life in danger.

Museveni’s private secretary granted bail

By Sania Babirye

Caroline Kembabazi the Assistant Private Secretary to President Yoweri Museveni has been released on bail by Buganda road court.

Chief magistrate Miriam Akello Ayo has ordered the suspect to pay one million cash while his sureties have been bonded 10 million not cash.

She is charged with giving false information to the Electoral Commission officials.

Meanwhile, the head of Human Resource at the Electoral Commission James Niwamanya has today concluded his testimony.

Niwamanya has told court that Kembabazi used her position to intimidate and harass him to give jobs to three of her relatives to work as Assistant district Registrars by lying that it was a presidential directive whereas not despite the said relatives having failed the said interviews.

These relatives were part of the 7,111 people that applied for 96 vacancies of Assistant district Registrars but majority of the applicants failed to the extent that only 70 out of the said vacancies were recruited .

The case has been adjourned to the 27th of January 2021.

Tumukunde lashes out at Government

By Sania Babirye

Independent presidential candidate Lt.Gen.Tumukunde has lashed out at the state for what he called wasting his time by failing to withdraw case in which he is charged with illegal possession of firearms and ammunition’s and treason.

Today, Tumukunde appeared in person at city hall court grade one Magistrate Valerian Tuhimbise expecting for trial after court issued criminal summons against him last month for failing to appear in court for the said case.

However, the case could not go on since Tumukunde’s lawyers filed an application in the high court accusing the state of violating his human rights after he was detained for more than 48 hours without charge.
The magistrate then accused Tumukunde’s lawyers of frustrating the hearing of the said case due to the pending determination of the other application.

Tumukunde speaking shortly after the adjournment of his case to the 21st of January 2021, stated that this case is baseless and a violation of his human rights since there’s nothing substantial.

He stated that he was an army officer provided with a gun by the same government prosecuting him over the the said gun.

He says that all retired army officers are provided by a gun and that he had had it all the time with escorts.

He however says that his troubles started when he declared his intentions to contest for the top seat to unseat his boss.

On the allegations of treason, over his statement he made while on Tv that he was allegedly inviting Rwanda to come and attack Uganda, Tumukunde has described the allegations as just a joke.

Tumukunde added that it was not fair that other presidential candidates are busy going on with their campaigns yet he has to stop his programs and attend court.

His lawyers have now asked court to dismiss the said case on grounds of political persecution. Lt.Gen.Tumukunde was granted bail on the 11 of May after spending almost three months in Luzira prison.On 18 of March 2020, Tumukende was remanded to Luzira prison after he pleaded not guilty to all five counts.

On the treason charge, Prosecution states that on the 5th of March 2020 while appearing on a morning show at one of the local Tv stations in Kamwokya, the Rt. Lt Gen made utterances which were calculated to instigated the Republic of Rwanda to invade Uganda and cause a unlawful change of government

On the unlawful possession fire arms and ammunition, its states that on the 13th of March 2020 at his office Impala Avenue in Kololo,was found in possession of 2 guns; an Ak47 and a pistol . Prosecution further states that he is charged with unlawful possession of 34 rounds of ammunition’s without a valid firearm licence

Tumukunde however told court on the charges of being in possession of firearms and ammunition, he was in lawful possession of the said gun since it was given to him with the said ammunition as a retired Gen .

Treason, is a capital case bailable and triable only by the High court .

Events promoters released on bail

By Sania Babirye

The four Ugandan businessmen and event promoters who are accused of organizing a music show in which they invited Nigerian musicians to perform have been granted bail by the Makindye chief magistrate court.

These include Ugandan businessmen Ivan Ddungu, Kisakya Phillip, Benjamin Kabuura and a woman Salima Kim.
These are charged with with doing a neglect act likely to cause the spread of an infectious disease and were remanded to Kitalya and Kigo government prisons on the 14th together with the three Nigerian Nationals Stanley Omah Didia, Temilade Openyi and their career manager Muliwa Awoniyi who are all residents of Lagos in Nigeria

The Nigerians have since been deported back home after the DPP withdrawing the charges against them.

These appeared before grade one Magistrate Jude Okumu who ordered them to each pay one million cash bail and their sureties each bonded 10 million shillings not cash.

They have been ordered to return to court on the 1st of February 2021 for mention of their case.

Prosecution’s Getrude Apiyo states that on Saturday 12th/December 2020 at Ddungu Resort in Mulungu in Munyonyo Makindye division; the suspects flew in Nigerian suspects and held a Concert during the COVID -19 lock down down ; an act which would cause the spread of Corona virus .

Pastor Semanda’s bail hearing flops

By Sania Babirye

Pastor Siraje Ssemanda has further been remanded to Kitalya government prison after hearing of his bail application flopped today before Buganda road court grade one Magistrate Gladys Kamasanyu.

Pastor Semanda is accused of defrauding UGX 4 billion from believers and fellow pastors by promising them jobs abroad and scholarships from state house.

He was to be produced via video conferencing from Kitalya, however, bit power was off.

His bail application has now been pushed to the 17th of December 2020 after state prosecutor Akite Miriam informed court that police investigations into the case are still ongoing.

The founder of Revival Church Bombo charged on two different files, one file containing 16 counts and another one count.

Prosecution states that in the month of February 2018 at various Pentecostal Churches and schools in Tororo district with intent to defraud obtained 82,555,000 shillings from Geoffrey Owor Sues , a pastor and coordinator of all Pentecostal Churches in Tororo pretending that they would in turn pay half bursary school fees to various student/pupil, help build up churches and give the faithful start up capital for business whereas not.

Prosecution adds that between May and November 2018 at Revival Church in Bombo with intend to defraud, pastor Ssemanda obtained millions of shillings from several school directors and church followers by falsely pretending that he was going to give their students half bursary fees and money to start up businesses.

New Zealand national granted bail

By Sania Babirye

A 61 year old New Zealand National charged with issuing a bounced cheques amounting to 300mshs has been granted bail by Buganda road court.

Engineer Collins Alexander Cox was remanded to Kitalya government prison on the 21st of September after pleading not guilty to the said offence by chief magistrate Miriam OkelloAyo.

He has been ordered to pay two million cash, deposit his passport with court, while his sureties have been each bonded UGX 50million non cash.

He returns to court on the 28th of December 2020 for mention of his case.

He is alleged to have issued a one Kato James two bounced cheques to be drawn from an account at Church House Equity Bank (U) Ltd in Kampala; without reasonable grounds to believe that there was sufficient funds to pay the said money.

He maintains that he issued the said cheques under duress.

Equal opportunities boss granted bail

By Sania Babirye

The anti corruption court has granted a 3.5 million cash bail to the Chairperson of Equal Opportunities Commission Sylvia Muwebwa Ntambi.

Grade one magistrate Moses Nabende also ordered Ntambi to deposit all his travel documents, land title of Block 226 plot 541 private land at Kyadondo in court while her three sureties including Chief executive officer LASPNET Sylvia Namubiru were ordered to execute a non cash bond of 44 million shillings to ensure that she returns in court whenever needed.

The case has now been adjourned to November 24th 2020 for further mention as police concludes it’s investigations.

Ntambi is jointly charged with other nine officials from the same commission who face with 25 counts including causing financial loss, embezzlement, corruption , abuse of office and conspiracy to defraud.

Ntambi is separately accused of negligence which resulted into gross mismanagement of the commission’s funds between 2018 and April 2019

Evidence before court shows that she conspired with other officials at the commission to defraud government of 44 million shillings which was allegedly claimed to undertake and audit exercise of the Rural Electrification Programme in Uganda which activity is said to have not taken place.

Ntambi was arrested after a whistle blower petitioned president Museveni accusing her of tribalism by recruiting her tribes mates, relatives and classmates without following the proper procedures.

She was also accused of illegal dismissal of staff members,refusing to renew contracts of staff members and irregular staff interdiction.

She however denies all the said allegations.

UNBS officials granted bail

By Sania Babirye

The anti corruption court has granted a one million cash bail to two officials from the Uganda National Bureau of Standards Mbarara branch who were charged and remanded to prison on the 15th of this month for soliciting and receiving a three million bribe.

The two including Shaka Vitalias and Mwamule Norman both employees of UNBS working at Mbarara regional offices ,as a head of Inspection and Surveillance respectively have been releases by grade one magistrate Moses Nabende and ordered to return to court on the 6th of November for further mention of their case .

Prosecution states that on the 6th of October 2020 in Kabwohe Sheema district, the two solicited and received a bribe of three million shillings from Mukama Nayamva a branch manager of one of the factories in the district to write a favorable report about the factory and not to close it after inspection.

It is alleged that on 29/7/2020 the suspects who were driving an official car Registration Number UAJ 486X Nissan Pickup, went to Mukama Nayamba processing factory and introduced themselves and indicated that they had come to do official business of inspection.

Unfortunately upon completion of thier inspection they intimated that the factory had failed to measure to the standards and threatened to close it.

Scared of their actions, the Manager of the factory offered them one million which they declined , but insisted that they needed 10Million.

With the continued engagement, the two parties settled at 6 million which was handed over to Shaka Vitalias.

The suspect later came a week after and demanded more money to the dismay of the workers at Mukama Nayamba.

But on consultation with thier MD, a position was reached that these people should be tracked and be arrested.

Indeed a 3 Million trap was set to which the suspects succumbed to on 6/08/2020.

The suspects were then arrested, searched and found in possession of the money, and detained at Sheema Police Station.

Case file CRB 496/2020 was opened, investigations expedited and charges of Corruption C/S 2(a)&26 of the Anti-Corruption 2009 as Amended were sanctioned and dully consented to.

Suspects were re-arrested and brought to Kampala where they appeared today 15/10/2020 before His worship Moses Nabende and remanded till 23/10/2020 for hearing of their bail application.