Some people just don’t want Beyonce to win. Dwayne Walker, the man who claims he designed the original Roc-A-Fella logo, has filed a lawsuit against Beyonce for the use of his design in her 2013 video with Jay Z, “Drunk In Love.”
According to legal documents obtained by TMZ, Walker says he owns the rights to the Roc logo and did not give permission of its use in Bey’s video. Although the logo only seems to show up once on Jay Z’s pendant, Walker believes he deserves a pay cut for its unauthorized appearance in the steamy black and white clip. And even though Jay is the one rocking the chain, the rapper’s name was not mentioned in the suit, TMZ reports.
Interestingly enough, this isn’t the first time Walker has tried to make a buck off of his logo design. In 2012, Walker sued Jay Z and Dame Dash for $7 million, accusing the former business partners of copyright infringement. Luckily for Jay and Dame, a judge threw the case out, ruling that a contract that Walker reportedly signed 20 years prior, prohibited him from collecting any royalties for the logo’s use. He may have lost the war, but it looks like he’s hoping not to strike out with the new lawsuit.
It’s no secret that President Barack Obama’s super cool — especially as far as presidents go. And his coolness factor just went even higher when we heard that he revealed some of his favorite rappers.
“I think the young guys, Kendrick and Chance, are doing amazing work,” the President said on the radio show. “I love Drake and the girls love Drake, so he’s commercially just doing great, and unbelievably talented. Jay Z’s still the king. I mean he’s got a track record. Same with Kanye so there’s a lot of talent out there, but when I look at who’s breaking new ground, Kendrick and Chance, those guys are doing just amazing work.” ~Obama
Fun fact: Obama has known Chance the Rapper since Chance was eight years old (!), “so we’ve been family for a while,” the President said, reported the SiriusXM Blog.
Bonus fun fact: Chance’s dad was Obama’s state director when he was a senator in Illinois. Who knew?!
Of course, we already loved the Spotify playlists that the POTUS made, like this year’s and last year’s. And Chance the Rapper and Jay Z both made this year’s list.
Jay Z was hit with a nearly $20 million lawsuit on Tuesday from Parlux Fragrances, a perfume company that claims the rapper refused to promote his own fragrance, Gold Jay Z, despite collecting $2 million in royalties. The company is seeking those royalties be returned, in addition to nearly $18 million in damages.
According to a lawsuit filed in Manhattan Supreme Court on Tuesday, Parlux claims there was a written agreement for Jay Z to make several promotional appearances for his men’s cologne, but the rapper backed out of all of them. He was reportedly supposed to publicize his fragrance on “Good Morning America,” in an interview with Women’s Wear Daily, and at an appearance at Macy’s, among other bookings.
In its court documents, Parlux says, “Sales of Gold Jay Z have declined considerably because of Jay Z’s and his teams lack of interest in supporting and promoting his own brand.” The company also alleges it created five $20,000 prototypes for a special edition of the bottle made of gold, but the rapper “rejected all of them and kept the prototype.”
In addition to the return of the $2 million royalty payment and nearly $18 million in damages, the company also wants a judge to void its contract with Jay Z, as well as his 300,000 stock shares in Perfumania Holdings Inc., which owns Parlux.